To improve security and stop hard-coding passwords into your scripts, you can generate an access key (an access key ID and secret access key). The access key is then used to get the session token for your API requests. Therefore, when you need to use the Voluum API, first you need to generate the access key in the Voluum platform.
To get the access key, follow the steps below:
1. Sign in to Voluum.
2. Click the icon (top right corner of the screen). Your account data view will show up.
3. Go to the Security tab and scroll down to the Access keys section.
4. Click the Add access key button. The Generate Access Key pop-up window will show up.
4a. Provide the key name.
4b. Provide your account password.
4c. Click the Generate button. The secret access key and access client ID will be generated.
4d. Once the secret access key and its ID are generated, click the Clipboard button - copy both values, the secret access key and access key ID, and save them locally on your machine.
Voluum Note: Once you have generated the access key, you need to copy and save it. This is the only time when the secret access key is visible to you, thus you need to store it locally to be able to use it with the Voluum API.
5. Close the Generate Access Key pop-up window. The access key you have created is added to the list of keys in the Access keys section.
Once the access key is generated, find out how to create a session with it:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Have more questions about the access keys? You might find the answer below:
- Do I need to generate an access key?
You only need to generate it, if you want to use the Voluum API without using your password at the same time.
- Do I need to rotate access key I use?
It is highly recommended to generate an access key every 30 days to keep your account safe. After 30 days, just add a new one and revoke the old one. Renewing the access key is recommended due to security reasons, however there are no technical limitations on using the same key all the time.