Dedicated Domain is a top-level unique domain assigned to your account and not shared with other users. Therefore, it guarantees that the domain does not hold any kind of content-based penalty and is only related to your campaign funnels. Additionally, you can set the encryption connection between the server and your visitors' web browser by turning on Secure Socket Layer (SSL) for your Dedicated Domain. This one is particularly important when you need to set up a secure connection for your campaign funnels. The below guide instructs you how to enable the SSL certificate for your Dedicated Domain.
- You have the Dedicated Domain assigned to your account.
- Almost 90% of the Internet traffic is generated by modern browsers that support the SSL/TLS certificate. It means that when you set up the SSL option for your Dedicated Domain, most of your visitors will see campaigns that you are advertising. However, it might happen that some visitors cannot see the ad because they use the browser that does not support the encryption protocol (either TLS or SSL) option.
SSL is supported with all modern browsers as listed below:
Version 5.0.342.1 and higher installed on Mac OS X 10.5.7 and newer
Version 6 and higher installed on Windows XP
All versions installed on Windows Vista
Version 2.1 and higher installed on Mac OS X 10.5.6 and newer
Version 2.1 and higher installed on Windows Vista
Version 2.0 and higher
Version 8.0 and higher, however the TLS protocol support must be enabled
Internet Explorer 7 installed on Windows Vista and newer
- All versions
Installed on Android 3.0 and newer
Installed on iOS 4.0 and newer
Version 7 and higher
Version 10.1 and higher installed on Android
SSL is unsupported with the following browsers:
All versions installed on Windows XP
Installed on Android 1.x and 2.x
In order to be able to use the secure connection for the Dedicated Domain assigned to your account, you need to turn it on in the Voluum platform. To do so, follow the steps:
1. Sign in to Voluum.
2. Click the icon (top right corner of the screen). Your account data view will show up.
3. Go to the Domains tab. You will see all Voluum domains assigned to your account.
Voluum Info: In the Domains tab you can see all domains that are available for your account:
- Dedicated Domains: The Dedicated Domain is assigned only to your account and dedicated for your own business needs. Because of that, there is only one Dedicated Domain per Voluum account assigned.
- Custom Domains: The custom tracking domain allows you to track traffic only from your campaigns independently of other users. This ensures that every user takes care of their reputation and have it under control.
- Redirect Domains: When you want to use any of the Voluum's redirect modes (Meta refresh and Double meta refresh), one of the domains from this section will be set as a redirect domain. You can use either the default one or one of those added as a custom domain.
- Legacy Domains: Currently, the legacy domains can be only used for testing purposes. Those domains will be soon deprecated in Voluum. You can recognize them without difficulty because they follow one of the following patterns:
4. Go to the Dedicated Domains section and click the Setting up SSL link under the field of a domain where you want to put in a secure connection (https://). The pop-up window shows up.
4a. Verify the domain displayed in the field.
4b. Select the checkbox to confirm that you accept the terms & conditions of using the Dedicated Domain with the SSL option.4c. Once you have agreed to the terms & conditions, click the Set it up button. The pop-up window closes.
Voluum Info: In order to be able to use the SSL option for your Dedicated Domain you need to read and agree with the adequate terms & conditions. Keep in mind that those terms & conditions are specifically dedicated to using the SSL option and go beyond the typical terms & conditions defined in the Voluum platform. You can find them on the Voluum's official website: https://voluum.com/terms-and-conditions/.
5. You should get the message that the status of enabling the SSL certificate is pending: SSL pending request. You need to wait up to 30 minutes to make the SSL option enabled.
6. Once the status has changed to enabled for your Dedicated Domain, you can use the secure connection while setting up your campaign funnels.
Voluum Tip: It is recommended to disable the SSL certificate for the Dedicated Domain when you do not need to use the secure connection for the campaign funnels. To do so, click the Disable SSL link under the domain field.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Have more questions about the domains? You might find the answer below:
- What is the difference between the domains in Voluum?
To get familiar with the concept of tracking domains in Voluum, read the Dedicated Domain, Redirect Domain, Legacy Domains, and Custom Domains article.
- What the main domain means in Voluum?
To learn more about the main domain in Voluum, read the Dedicated Domain, Redirect Domain, Legacy Domains, and Custom Domains article.
- How to switch between the legacy domain I have used till now to the Dedicated Domain?
To find out how to do that, read the Switching from a Legacy Domain to the Dedicated Domain guide.
- Can I use SSL for the custom domain?
No, you cannot use it because the SSL certificate is not officially supported for the custom domain.